Meet Rosie who recently decided to start a fight with some chickens! Rosie came off worse for wear when a piece of hay became embedded in her eye causing an ulcer. Rosie had a dye called fluorescein placed into her eye the dye sticks to the damaged areas of the eye and shows how far the corneal ulcer extends, by highlighting luminous green under a florescent blue light. Cats have better night vision than us humans but the basic structure is much the same. Because the eye is
Bernie the Bernese Mountain dog visited us with a Hot spot on his leg. A hot spot is officially known as Moist Dermatitis, hot spots are found anywhere on the body and can increase in size very quickly. Your dog will experience them as itchy and sometimes painful patches and will often try to soothe hot spots with scratching, licking or biting. Treatment for a hot spot is to : Clip and clean – clipping the fur around your dog’s hot spot will allow air to reach it and speed up
Belle visited the surgery for her 2nd vaccination and scabs on her skin. Tom our veterinary surgeon preformed skin scrapes and hair plucks on Belle to establish the cause of the skin issues. skin scraping is the process of removing some skin cells to look at under the microscope. It helps identify some skin parasites, especially mites, and sometimes fungal conditions like ringworm. A blade is rubbed across the skin and the sample of cells and skin is mixed with oil and prepar
Today is International Cat Day or World cat day, International Cat Day is a day to raise awareness for cats and learn about ways to help and protect them. #internationalcatday #worldcatday #2020 #cat #cats #vetcat #catvet #felinevet #petdoctor #standishvet #vetstandish #wiganvets #vetsinwigan #wiganvet #vetnearme #localvet #parboldvet #vetparbold #shevington #shevingtonwigan #affordablevet #felinelove #angrycat #happycat #appleybridge #localvet #goodvet #afforablevet #poorlyp
Bella visited us for intermittent lameness on her back leg, after an initial investigation of X-rays at our Adlington branch, Bella was diagnosed with medial patella luxation. Bella was than transferred to our Standish Orthopaedic site. Medial patella luxation is a condition where the patella (knee-cap) does not stay in its normal position in the groove on the end of the femur (thigh bone) and will pop-out, or luxate, to the medial (inside) surface of the knee. For most cats
Fudge visited the surgery due to a few collapsing episode and becoming lethargic over the course of the day. During the consultation the owner mentioned that fudge could of ingested some plants in the garden, after further investigation it was determined that Fudge had eaten some Canadian Poppies. Canadian poppies or any poppies are often not found on the poisons list for cats. All parts of poppiescan be harmful to cats if ingested. The amount of alkaloids or opioids can vary
This week we saw Hugo who came to us for a castrate, whilst being examined we noticed a hernia and were able to carry out the hernia repair surgery at the time for castration.
Canine hernias are relatively common. Similar to humans, a hernia is a condition where the contents of a dog’s abdomen pushes through a tear or hole in the muscle wall or fatty tissue. Over 90 percent of canine hernia cases are due to genetics. Hernias can also develop from trauma or injury. Dogs with h
Mitzie an adventurous puppy has got into some mischief eating berries on a walk and was treated by our Standish branch. Rowan berries, however, are dangerous because they contain a specific toxin. They can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive salivation, and affected dogs can show significant signs of disease. Access to rowan berries should therefore be prevented. Other dangerous berries that dogs may find and eat if they aren't watched closely include deadly nightshade, w
Sadly today we have seen a case of heat stroke please be cautious in the sun. Make sure to walk your dogs in the evening or early morning to prevent heat stroke. If the pavement is to hot to touch its too hot for your pets paws. DO NOT WALK YOUR DOGS IN BETWEEN 11am -7PM Make sure your rabbit hutches are in the shade, a damp towel can be used to keep the hutch cool. Signs of heatstroke in dogs include: Panting, which increases as heatstroke progresses. Drooling, salivating. A
The object was identified with an X-ray in the small intestine causing a partial obstruction, Zoe was taken to theatre where it was surgically removed.
Foreign objects swallowed by animals can cause a partial or complete intestinal obstruction and are one of the most common indications for intestinal surgery.
If a foreign body becomes lodged over a period of time then there may be serious complications. Clinical signs of obstruction include dehydration, vomiting, anorexia, we
Vivienne attended the surgery last week as she was very lethargic and her owner was very concerned. Further tests were carried out and we found Vinenne had a Pyothorax. Pyothorax is an accumulation of fluid that contains an infectious (usually bacteria) agent and immune system cells in the space surrounding the lungs and heart. A small needle was placed into the chest to withdraw some fluid, and to relieve the pressure surrounding the lungs and heart and allowing Vivienne to
Today we have had several calls regarding COVID-19 (coronavirus) and pets. Here is some information from the World Small Animal Veterinary Association. Please share Can COVID-19 infect pets?Currently there is no evidence that companion animals can be infected with or spread COVID-19. If my pet has been in contact with someone who is sick from COVID-19, can it spread the disease to other people?While we do not yet know for sure, there is no evidence that companion animals can
The procedure itself is easy and for your cat, it is no more painful than an injection. Your cat won't even be aware of the microchip's presence once it has been inserted. I have lost my cat. What should I do? If you've lost your cat and they are already microchipped, the first thing you'll need to do is let the microchipping company know. Double-check with the database that your details are correct. If your lost cat is found and taken to a vet or animal welfare organisation,