Meet Gus a very naughty boy. Gus decided to help himself to his mums sowing needle. He was very lucky. Gus was anaesthetised and a X-ray taken to see if the needle had caused any damage to his throat. The needle was removed will no permeant damage to Gus and he was sent home with some pain relief for his very sore mouth. Gus was very lucky as the needle had not started to move, Gus would of needed surgery to revive the needle. #mydogateaneedle #mydogate #Xray #laparoscopic #o
Meet Rosie who recently decided to start a fight with some chickens! Rosie came off worse for wear when a piece of hay became embedded in her eye causing an ulcer. Rosie had a dye called fluorescein placed into her eye the dye sticks to the damaged areas of the eye and shows how far the corneal ulcer extends, by highlighting luminous green under a florescent blue light. Cats have better night vision than us humans but the basic structure is much the same. Because the eye is
Its cold outside! Winter pet care tips dogs and cats are walking through the substances left by gritters trying to clear roads and car drivers defrosting their windscreens and then licking them off their paws.Consuming rock salt can cause dehydration, liver failure and pancreatitis, while antifreeze contains the chemical ethylene glycol, which can be lethal when ingested The symptoms of ingesting anti-freeze include vomiting, seizures, appearing sleepy and a heightened breath
poinsettia mildly toxic to dogs and cats 🌺 Poinsettias are originally from Mexico and are famous for reaching their beautiful red full bloom in December. Their bright red petals are actually leaves and, because they contain chemicals called diterpenoid euphorbol esters, they’re mildly toxic to dogs and cats. If your pets Eat poinsettia they can experience drooling, oral pain, diarrhoea and vomiting — but only if they’re ingested in large enough quantities. Please call the su
We have had a confirmed case of Parvovirus. The pet is recovering well at home. Parvo is more commonly associated with puppies, but in this case it was a older dog. Parvovirus is a highly infectious disease that can be fatal. Many dogs who are diagnosed with parvo will die. The virus attacks cells in a dog’s intestines and stops them from being able to absorb vital nutrients. This means that a dog or puppy will become very weak and dehydrated. It is also known as canine parv
Jaz came to visit us due to a very swollen ear. The ear had filled with blood causing an aural hematoma. An aural hematoma is a clot of blood that collects between the skin and the cartilage of a pet’s ear flap. It’s typically caused by overly aggressive ear scratching or head shaking that results from an ear infection. Dogs and cats can both suffer ear hematomas, though dogs (particularly those prone to skin allergies and ear infections) are more prone to them. Surgical rep
Bonny visited the surgery and after consultation with Steven she was found to have a Grade 3 left sided heart murmur, she was admitted for a heart scan with Steven. The scan showed Bonny had mild cardiomegaly, mitral valve regurgitation and mild pulmonary valve regurgitation and Mitral valve disease stage B2. Bonny has been started on medication for her heart and we hope shes feeling much better. Having the most advanced and modern equioment allows us to offer the best pet c
Naughty Frankie the Irish terrier managed to steal 180g of Chocolate. Chocolate poisoning affects the heart, central nervous system and kidneys. Symptoms of dogs eating chocolate usually occur between four and 24 hours after your dog has eaten chocolate. The effect and signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs depends on the amount eaten and the size of the breed. Freddie was given a drug to induce vomiting emptying his stomach contents, he was then fed activated charcoal. Activat
Blu visited the surgery on Saturday after he ran into a fish tank, as fish tanks have sharp corners this made a deep wound on Blu. Wounds vary according to: Cause - puncture wounds, abrasions, or lacerations Location - paws, abdomen, eyes, etc. Level of contamination - clean (surgical) wounds, contaminated (infected) we consider all these factors when deciding the best way to treat a specific wound. Sometimes the location or the amount of skin loss prevents surgical closure o
Today is International Cat Day or World cat day, International Cat Day is a day to raise awareness for cats and learn about ways to help and protect them. #internationalcatday #worldcatday #2020 #cat #cats #vetcat #catvet #felinevet #petdoctor #standishvet #vetstandish #wiganvets #vetsinwigan #wiganvet #vetnearme #localvet #parboldvet #vetparbold #shevington #shevingtonwigan #affordablevet #felinelove #angrycat #happycat #appleybridge #localvet #goodvet #afforablevet #poorlyp
Bella visited us for intermittent lameness on her back leg, after an initial investigation of X-rays at our Adlington branch, Bella was diagnosed with medial patella luxation. Bella was than transferred to our Standish Orthopaedic site. Medial patella luxation is a condition where the patella (knee-cap) does not stay in its normal position in the groove on the end of the femur (thigh bone) and will pop-out, or luxate, to the medial (inside) surface of the knee. For most cats
Otto got a little more adventure than he expected on his walk. Whilst on his daily walk Otto likes to have a leisurely swim in the local pond/lake, but on this occasion when he surfaced he had a fish hook stuck in his mouth. Due to the barbs on fish hooks, they can be difficult to remove without sedation, minor surgery, and pain medication.
Considerable damage can also be caused if someone pulls on a fishing line after the hook has already become embedded in the animal, so we
Charlie came to see us with low platelets and a Pact Volume cell (PVC) of 17% (this tells us how much blood is in the body with the ideal range being 35%-55%). On a ultrasound a mass in the abdomen was detected and it was established Charlie would need to go into surgery immediately, but he would need to have a blood transfusion first . A call was made to the pet blood bank and we were able to source blood to be delivered the next day. Charlie had his blood transfusion and
This week we saw Hugo who came to us for a castrate, whilst being examined we noticed a hernia and were able to carry out the hernia repair surgery at the time for castration.
Canine hernias are relatively common. Similar to humans, a hernia is a condition where the contents of a dog’s abdomen pushes through a tear or hole in the muscle wall or fatty tissue. Over 90 percent of canine hernia cases are due to genetics. Hernias can also develop from trauma or injury. Dogs with h