Search

Otto and his Fish Hook

Otto got a little more adventure than he expected on his walk.

Whilst on his daily walk Otto likes to have a leisurely swim in the local pond/lake, but on this occasion when he surfaced he had a fish hook stuck in his mouth.

Due to the barbs on fish hooks, they can be difficult to remove without sedation, minor surgery, and pain medication. Considerable damage can also be caused if someone pulls on a fishing line after the hook has already become embedded in the animal, so we don’t recommend attempts at removing fish hooks.

Otto was sedated to remove the fish hook and sent home with a course of antibiotics.

Dogs are particularly tempted by shiny lures and tasty bait, with the hook typically becoming embedded in their mouth, food pipe or stomach as a result. There have also been cases of dogs eating discarded fish heads and inadvertently swallowing the fish hook inside of them. Dogs and cats also, occasionally, suffer paw injuries from standing on fish hooks.

If you suspect your pet has eaten a fish hook please ring us immediately.


#standishvets #mylocalvets #vetstandish #standishvet #vetsinwigan #wiganvet #affordablevets #orthopaedicvet #vetorthopaedic #cherryeye #tplo #cruciaterupture #standish #bestvetsnearme #parbold #haigh #aspul #shevington #mawdesley #dogneuteringnearme #localvet #vetinwigan #laparoscopicspay #advancedvet #petdoctor #standishwigan #dogfracture #veterinarysurgeon


1 view

Address

Hawthorne Lodge

School Lane

Standish

Wigan

WN6 0TE

Contact

standishvets@hotmail.com

01257472200

Follow

  • White Facebook Icon

©2020 by Standish Vets. Website by Swann Digital